Expertise in extremely high volume web based Video on Demand systems; cloud computing / grid computing; large scale online social networks; the deployment of content delivery networks (CDN); hosting high volume websites for Fortune 500 companies and large scale data center migrations
It’s not all business. I also have a variety of other interests.
15+ years of success guiding development of leading-edge technology solutions that drive business growth. Full market responsibility for several Latin American and Caribbean economies. Effective analyst, problem solver, and communicator able to foster excellent relationships with team members, upper management, and clients. Extensive experience in leading large-scale technology transition programs, including migrations, upgrades, and relocations.
- Author: “Linux Quick Fix Notebook” – Prentice Hall
- Multilingual: English, Spanish and Portuguese
- North American, South American and Caribbean business experience
- International sales, business development and marketing
- Specialization in IT operations of extremely high volume websites
- Administrator: OLPC forums
- Grid and cloud computing, search server farm systems
- Social networking infrastructure using virtualization
- Extremely high volume streaming video on demand (VoD)
- The deployment of content delivery networks (CDN)
- Hosting high volume websites for Fortune 500 companies
- Large scale data center migrations
July 2013 – Present
CTO and Co-Founder – Colovore
Located in Silicon Valley, Colovore is a high density colocation data center providing 20kW per rack wall to wall.
November 2012 – June 2013
PROGRAM MANAGER – GOOGLE Search capacity Planning
Capacity modelling and forecasting for all ancillary Search software development groups in each Google datacenter. Accounted for differences in hardware platforms and infrastructure architecture.
September 2010 – October 2012
PROGRAM MANAGER – GOOGLE FIBER
National IP video headend construction and operation for the Google Fiber FTTH deployment in Kansas City. Over 500 TV channels.
PROGRAM MANAGER – NEW ACQUISITIONS / CORPORATE AT GOOGLE
February 2010 – August 2010
Doing many new and wonderful things in support of a large, rapidly growing infrastructure. Ownership of server maintenance for all companies acquired by Google and internal corporate systems. Responsible for defining the tiers of support, scope of the migration and the degree of integration of systems into those used internally. Cross functional management between global data center resources and internal product manager teams. Responsible for post integration internal service level agreement compliance and process improvements.
Program Manager – Network Edge at Google
June 2009 – January 2010
Responsibility for server maintenance for all content caching locations. Created global regional leadership program for technicians for all new YouTube installations. This provided project management, escalation and autonomy skills to senior technicians who remotely supervised installation teams working overseas. Developed network engineering training scheme for over 300 data center employees worldwide. Included technical and business process courses tied to Google’s career evaluation system.
Director of Operations at Shopping.com (eBay)
January 2008 – May 2009
Ownership for the infrastructure to support shopping.com’s B2B and B2C comparison ecommerce products. Responsible for numerous large search grid cloud computing farms, their data center facilities and supporting network interconnectivity. Role included managing systems administration, networking, data center rack & stack operations as well as outsourcing vendor management. Staff of 12, multiple data centers across the continental US.
- Reduced non-staff IT costs by 20% while maintaining key metrics through virtualization, application rationalization, improved CDN performance, legacy system retirement, SAN storage consolidation and vendor contract renegotiations.
- Created a capacity planning model for search grid performance depending on expected query types and systems architecture. Used company-wide to predict spending needs and the profitability of business partner deals.
Network Manager at Netflix Inc.
June 2005 – January 2008
Voice and data communications manager for the company’s DVD distribution centers and three corporate offices. Led initiatives to improve the centralization and automation of network management systems. Lead for the network re-architecture efforts to facilitate better product delivery to customers while improving vendor management.
Responsible for the design and implementation of the modular Netflix content delivery network (CDN) services for the distribution of streaming video on demand (VoD). The development of a scalable and cost effective solution that could be deployed rapidly with easy maintenance and monitoring was the primary design goal.
Assisted in establishing peering relationships with partner ISP networks at national Internet exchanges. Participated in the negotiation of the legal and technical contract requirements. Led the analysis of network traffic and trends for both capacity planning and identifying areas for peering expansion
- 500-seat call center
- 50+ corporate offices and distribution centers
- Web site that grew from 3 to 7 million members.
- Managed team of 6. Automation allowed us to scale, not additional staff.
- $2 million annual budget.
- Transformed under-performing team into top-notch department respected throughout the company.
- Developed company-wide IT strategic plans, with emphasis on projecting architecture needs based on customer, employee, and geographic company growth.
- Deeply involved with vendor relationship activities, including strategic sales and support contract negotiations, and program management for various ISP and CDN providers.
Director Networking and Security at Navisite Inc
February 2005 – May 2005
Managed a team of up 15 engineers, serving over 600 customers and 3,000 web servers.
- Led the network equipment rationalization project for the West Coast data centers. Reduced equipment maintenance costs by over 50% through the phased removal of equipment from the San Jose data center. This was achieved through a series of over 30 planned change windows.
- Led the Networking team lead in the migration and integration of all customers from the Scott’s Valley, Avasta, Progress Software and Conxion data centers to Navisite’s San Jose data center. This involved moving over 750 servers.
- Member of the customer Incident Review team created to implement proecess changes based on customer impacting events to improve the company’s 99.99% uptime service commitment.
Network Manager at Navisite Inc
January 2003 – January 2005
Member of Navisite’s team responsible for making the San Jose data center SAS70 compliant in accordance with the requirements of the Sarbanes Oxley Act.
- Lead engineer for the management of Navisite’s HotRoute/AnyCast content delivery systems used by Computer Associates and Oracle for their software download sites.
- Created the “Socrates” web portal to provide information to disparate network engineering groups, from multiple acquired companies, with centralized documentation on the various deployed architectures and subsequent integration projects.
- Lead for the “Architecture Desk” which has responsibility for the research, evaluation, approval and implementation of all equipment additions to our customer topologies with an eye to long term supportability.
- Team lead for architecting and implementing Navisite’s New Delhi (India) offices established as part of the company’s globalization efforts.
Senior Networking Engineer at Navisite Inc
August 2000 – December 2003
Member of the final technical escalation team for all for 16 web hosting data centers network events and post sales customer support.
- Team lead for a number of formal training exercises for the Engineering, NOC and Customer Care organizations. Developed a “Technical Lunch” program to provide technology briefings to “top 30″ customers on the architectures used in their hosting topologies.
- Team lead for the annual code upgrading process for all network devices.
- Member of the systems compatibility test systems lab responsible for verifying the functionality of various vendors’ equipment, supplied by customers or internally, with Navisite’s existing infrastructure.
- Hands on familiarity with products from Cisco, Nortel / Altheon, Juniper, Netscreen, Nokia, F5, Blue Coat, Foundry and Avaya.
Systems Consultant to United Airlines SFO MOC at eFinity Management Consultants
June 1999 – July 2000
Member of the team that managed the systems and associated network devices used to control the maintenance of all North American aircraft. LAN/WAN network of 1,100 TCP/IP based data collection devices controlled by over 20 high speed servers and 20 Cisco routers.
- Team member for replacing legacy Cabletron Layer 2 switching equipment with Cisco 6509 Layer 3 switches to act as a campus backbone. Pre-sales work to migrate from OpenVMS to UNIX / Solaris.
- Project manager for migrating all aircraft maintenance systems from legacy disk storage to RAID arrays. Resulting annual maintenance contract savings of $400,000
Chief Executive Officer at Trinidad & Tobago Trading Co
June 1998 – June 1999
Established the first overseas based trade facilitation company created by the government of Trinidad and Tobago and the Trinidad & Tobago Manufacturers’ Association (TTMA). The primary focus was to increase non-oil manufactured exports from Trinidad to Latin America via the Colon Free Trade Zone in Panama, the largest free zone in the Western Hemisphere. Services provided include trade promotion, warehousing, freight consolidation, customs clearance and business development prospecting. The company also acts as the sales / buying agent for a number of T&T importers and exporters.
- Led efforts in providing assistance to Trinidadian companies seeking start-up and expansion initiatives in the region. Developed and implemented business development strategies, marketing programs, identified key sponsorship activities, and attended association events and trade shows to build relationships. Guided companies in specific business development activities within region. Played key role in the increase of Trinidadian trade with Latin America to full distributor representation for the country’s top non-petroleum manufacturers (e.g. Peake Industries, S.M. Jaleel, Bermudez, others).
- Managed incoming trade missions, produced client deliverables, and researched/identified market opportunities. Contributed to development of Latin American sector strategy plans for Government of Trinidad and Tobago.
Sales & Export Manager at Dr. Ian Sangster & Co. Ltd.
June 1996 – September 1997
Full responsibility for sales of over US$2.0 million annually for this manufacturer of rums and liqueurs. Distribution in nine Caribbean nations including Antigua, the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Grenada, St. Lucia, Trinidad, and the US Virgin Islands. Participated in distributor contract negotiations. Managed all aspects of sales, marketing, advertising and promotion. Specific responsibility for branding, modified product positioning, new label design, product line streamlining, the production of print media and radio advertising, distributor selection, marketing surveys, customer newsletters, trade show sponsorship and the manufacture of promotional items. Frequent considerations had to be made for varying market conditions, cultural preferences, competitor strategies and customs duty regimes. Staff of 20.
- 1996 sales climbed 26% over 1995 with exports rising 67% during the same period.
- Identified the need for a value market rum product for the cruise ship gift shop market. Launched the successful Caribbean and Jamaica Rum Cream lines which accounted for over 50% of sales in 1997.
- Reopened the Cayman Islands market with shipments of a 40 foot container of product every quarter in 1997.
Marketing/Sales Team Lead at Eli Lilly & Co.
June 1994 – July 1996
Western Caribbean market responsibility for US$3.0 million in annual revenue for this multinational pharmaceutical company. Led sales of antibiotic, endocrine, central nervous system and cardiac medications through wholesale distribution channels. Directed professional education programs for medical staff in diabetic care, infectious diseases and depression. Team of 3.
- Project leader for the team that created the highly successful Diabetes Educator Program for all Jamaican government pharmacists and endocrine nurses. Territory with US$2.0 million annual sales.
- Sales (US$) up 50%, 1995 vs. 94, in an economy growing less than 1% during the same period. This was driven by expanding the number of physician conferences in which Lilly participated and creating a Lilly-sponsored Psychiatry Continuing Education series for doctors chaired by opinion leaders in this therapeutic field.
Deputy General Manager at Island Microsystems Ltd.
June 1990 – June 1992
Technology leader for Jamaican arm of Caribbean value added reseller (VAR). Supported the full line of Acer computers and Xerox document processors in both pre and post sales functions. Team of 10 sales and support engineers.
- Business lead for the group that prepared contracts, terms of reference and provided software consultants/programmers for the National Insurance Scheme Computerization Project for the Ministry of Labor Welfare and Sports. (400,000 records) Also contracted and managed the performance of the software personnel assigned to the Ministry’s Food Stamp project. (300,000 records).
- Business lead for the development of a demonstration prototype system for the GOJ’s Administrative Reform Program intended to manage the disbursement of funds to all GOJ ministries and departments. This bid was a joint venture between IMS, Axsys Systems of Pennsylvania, Fourgen Software from Seattle, and Informix and Acer/Altos information technology systems from San Jose, California. Acted as the local agent for these companies.
- Business lead for the analysis, design and development of a computerized customer service/preventive maintenance system for the company. Features included, fault reporting, job scheduling, billing, commission calculations, and warranty monitoring. Tracked a database for over 400 customers.
Senior Manager – Technical Support at Fiscal Services Ltd.
June 1986 – June 1990
Managed computer network for the Government of Jamaica’s (GOJ) revenue collection departments. Experience in network & systems management in financial transaction environment, client server distributed computing, facilities management, capacity planning, performance tuning, systems security, workflow analysis, budgeting, tendering, procurement, installation, systems development, data conversion, IT systems maintenance, training and procedures development and more. In all cases, successfully aided in re-engineering engrained end user manual processes through automation in a highly regulated public sector framework. Supervised teams of up to 12.
- Prepared and administered information technology RFP/RFQ tenders on behalf of the Government of Jamaica using USAID & European Union funds. Equipment obtained was used for the automation of several government departments.
- IT lead for team responsible for constructing the central 10,000 sq ft GOJ data center from green field to production readiness. Provided hands on supervisory, planning, installation, monitoring and maintenance management in the creation and expansion of the FSL 400 user wide area network.
- Implemented the first business systems for the GOJ Administrative Reform Program. Sponsored by USAID.
- Led team that designed and implemented the the first network interconnecting the GOJ’s revenue collection departments including: The Revenue Board, Income Tax, Customs and Excise, Land Valuation, the Stamp Office, and General Consumption Tax. Program funded by the European Union with support from CSC Datacentralen of Denmark.
- Lead IT system support team that won the contract to computerize the National Water Commission, the nation’s water utility.
- Stanford Certified Project Manager SCPM / SAPM (2010)
- Stanford University, California, USA
- Post-Graduate Diploma, International Trade (1998)
- ICADE, Universidad Pontificia Comillas
- Master of Business Administration (1994)
- University of West Ontario, Ivey School of Business, London, Ontario, Canada
- Post-Graduate Diploma, Management Studies, With Distinction (1992)
- University of the West Indies, Mona, Jamaica
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Honors Graduate (1986)
- University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Trinidad
- 1997 Spanish Agency for International Cooperation (AECI) Scholarship;
- 1992 Canada Jamaica Training Project Scholarship (Administered by CIDA);
- 1985 Commonwealth Fund for Training and Cooperation Scholarship
- CCIE – Cisco Certified Internetworking Expert – #8710
- Grid computing / cloud computing / search server farm systems using virtualization
- The deployment of content delivery networks (CDN)
- Business Development
- Latin American / Caribbean Business Experience
- Emerging markets / developing economies / developing countries
- Strategic Technology Planning
- Sales and Marketing
- Bilingual Spanish Fluency
- P&L/Budget Management
- Turnaround Project Management
- Team Building and Leadership
- Process Reengineering
- Complex System Implementation
- Business System Integration
- Client Service Optimization
- Vendor Management and contract negotiation
Complementary Career Skills
- Thought leadership amongst peers
- Self-motivated entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to set high goals and independently execute on them
- Clear thinker with ability to make quick decisions and take appropriate risks
- Business processes and performance standards management skills
- Bottom-line results orientation: Financial acumen, analytical and operational skills
- Solid analytical skills and problem solving skills with the ability to manage P&L
- Strong customer service orientation
- Experience in driving efficiency across business units
- Proven people management and motivational skills
- Articulate, clear and concise with experience presenting at the highest organizational levels
- Ability to work effectively across/up/down the organization
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Proven B2B marketing skills
- Experienced in managing various elements of a brand;
- Including: resource allocation, positioning, budgeting, forecasting, marketing and sales execution
- Knowledge of driving revenue across product sets to target diverse customer segments
- Including: cross selling, up selling, referral, loyalty and win back marketing initiatives.
- Active Non-Profit / NGO volunteer experience